Soup. Everyone likes soup. It’s comforting, warming and quick. It’s a lunch, a dinner, a snack in a mug. Chicken if you are ill, pumpkin at Halloween, Gazpacho when you are on holiday in Spain just before the Tapas arrives. Soup is probably the most versatile meal you can have. It even has its own set of etiquette. We love it, and in 2019 nearly 30 million people regularly bought soup in the UK, with the best seller being Tomato.
But, that’s enough random soup stats (we have more if anyone is interested!). What about THIS soup? Why should you make this Keto Broccoli and Stilton Soup?
Because it’s great. It is simple and has no carbs, so we are all good for Keto. Because you only need 8 easily found and not expensive ingredients. Because it’s done in 5 steps and ready in less than 30 minutes. Because it freezes superbly. Because its filling. Because it can be a starter, a main, or even a take-to-the-office microwavable lunch pot. Oh, and lastly (but most important of all), because it tastes absolutely amazing.
We use celery for this instead of onion, due to the milder taste and zero carbs. We also don’t use any thickening agent such as potato or flour preferring to just reduce the liquid content and adding the crème fraiche which gives a lovely texture whilst balancing the salt of the cheese. The mustard just adds a little back-note, and really brings out the flavours.
So, try it out, make a big pot and freeze some because winter is coming, and enjoy!
Ingredients – Serves 4 as a main / 6 as a lunch or starter.
4 large or 6 medium sticks of celery
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
3 tbsp olive oil (any type)
2 heads of broccoli
220 – 250g Stilton
2 vegetable stock cubes or pots.
2 heaped tbsp crème fraiche
1 tsp English mustard powder (or ready-made mustard if you haven’t got the powder).
Great topped with a twist or two of your pepper grinder. Make a hearty Keto meal of this by adding Barenaked Foods Konjac Rice a few minutes before serving, or for those not bothered about the carbs, a good chunk of bread can’t be beaten.
1. Take the stalk off the broccoli, then chop the florets and the rest of the stalk into a large pot. Crumble over the stock cubes or pots and add 2 litres of water. Place on a medium gas and bring up to simmer for 10 mins.
2. Meanwhile, wash and slice the celery sticks down the middle and then chop them. Put in a frying pan along with the chopped garlic and the olive oil and fry off until translucent.
3. Once the celery and garlic are done, add them to the broccoli pot, be sure to scrape the oil out of the pan into the pot too.
4. Crumble in the stilton including the crust (the best bit) along with the crème fraiche and mustard powder.
5. Keep it simmering and stir until the stilton has melted in, then blitz it smooth with a stick blender, and serve!