3 ingredients and 10 minutes for gourmet side dish, and the option to half the fat. Who can argue with that? In fact, this speedy little recipe can even turn leftovers into a fresh and interesting new side. Served with a roast as a side or even as a sauce, its extremely versatile.
It has a little secret too. There is no actual cream in the dish, as we use half fat crème fraiche. This not only gives you the option to reduce the fat right down, even to nearly zero fat if you wish, but we also found that for cooking crème fraiche is a lot more tolerant and accepting than cream. It keeps much longer, doesn’t split and retains its consistency much better as well as having the health benefits for those who want them.
You can raise or lower the amount of green veg in this one based on your own taste, and (if using leftovers or a glut of garden produce) what you have available. So, take the vegetable measurement in the ingredients list as a guide rather than a prescription.
We used broccoli in this one, but the recipe works for spinach too and you can even combine them if you wish for a Creamed Spinaccoli type dish. Or just stick to calling it Creamed Spinach and Broccoli to avoid the laughter.
Ingredients – Serves 4
2 large shallots or small onions.
300 ml tub reduced or zero fat Crème Fraiche
300g broccoli or spinach (or a mix of both)
A splash of white wine in with the onions or shallots can add an additional depth to the flavour.
1. Wash and cook the green veg, you are looking for it to be a little softer than al-dente but falling apart and losing its lovely green colour. Run under a cold tap to cool and stop the veg cooking after its been strained.
2. Peel and chop the onion or shallots, and fry in a medium pan in a little olive oil until cooked and translucent.
3. Chop the green veg and add to the pan, then add the crème fraiche and mix. Bring just to the boil and remove from the heat.
4. When slightly cooled blend with a stick blender, add water to thin if you feel it needs it (water content depends on the veg obviously). Season with salt and pepper.
5. Reheat gently when ready to serve.